Fire claims home
by Duane Williams, KLCB 1230 AM Libby News Radio
April 2, 2009
Candles were the ignition source of a catastrophic fire that resulted in the total loss of a log home in the Manike area last night.
The home's owner fell asleep with the candles lit and was awakened by her dogs, according to Fisher River Battalion Chief Tony Bacon. Although the house had smoke detectors, they failed to alarm.
Fisher River was on scene within eight minutes of page, but estimated the fire had been in progress for about 25 minutes. By the time Fisher River arrived on scene the two story log home was full involved, Chief Bacon told KLCB News. The fire was contained and controlled in about 55 minutes of Fisher River's arrival.
The home's owner, Katie Kimball, does not have a land line telephone, and had no cell service. She removed valuables from the burning home before leaving to seek help.
Fire crews were able to protect a new travel trailer, barn, sheds, and large propane tank.
The loss of the structure and contents is estimated between $125,000 and $150,000 dollars. Kimball and her dogs were not injured in the blaze.
Fisher River Fire Department received support from Cabinet View and Marion Fire Departments.
Story by Duane Williams, KLCB 1230 AM Libby News Radio, www.todaysbestcountryonline.com.